Colonel John Stevens' The Little Juliana

All Titles

  • Colonel John Stevens' The Little Juliana

Dublin Core

Title

Colonel John Stevens' The Little Juliana

Description

Designed and built by Colonel John Stevens (III) at Hoboken, N.J. in 1804, was the first steamboat propelled by twin screws.

Colonel John Stevens (III) seeking to overcome the tendency of his 1802 screw propelled steamboat to move in circles, designed two propellers, with "wings" like those of a windmill, which were designed to revolve in reverse directions, and installed them side by side in "The Little Juliana", which made her first recorded appearance in May, 1804. She was named after Colonel John's eldest daughter "Juliana."

"The Little Juliana" was in existence three years before Fulton's Clermont was put in operation.

Rights

Reproduction for publication, exhibition, web display or commercial use is only permissible with the consent of Special Collections of the S.C. Williams Library at Stevens Institute of Technology.

Files

Click the Image for Full Size

Citation

"Colonel John Stevens' The Little Juliana," in Stevens Digital Collections, Item #572, http://librarycollections.stevens.edu/items/show/572 (accessed December 15, 2017).

Social Bookmarking